Saturday, April 13, 2013

Baseball Season

It is spring, and Michael is signed up to play baseball.  He really loves this sport even though he isn't all that great at it.  Perhaps if we spent more time practicing catch in the yard, he might be better.  Even though we are not big sports enthusiasts, somehow Michael fell in love with baseball.  So it doesn't matter that he hasn't played since his T-ball league when he was a mere four years old, he just wants to play baseball.

The other day I got the call from his coach, "We will start baseball this weekend.  Michael's team is called the Phillies.  We will play at the American Legion field, and there will be a field clean up then parade."  I get off the phone and tell Michael, "That was your coach, you will be on the Phillies."  Michael jumps up and runs upstairs, quickly uncovering his blue baseball mitt that he had when he was four, and running back down to the kitchen.

"I got my mitten!  I got my mitten!"  he exclaims with exuberance.  "Michael it is called a mitt!"  I say with a chuckle in my voice. 

Michael says, "I can't wait to play baseball, but mom I'm not very good at hitting the ball.  When I hit the ball I have to go to number one and number two and number three?"  It takes me a split second to figure out his language on this one.

"Yes, Michael you run to first, second and third base.  They are called bases.  Then you run home." I say, clarifying his previous statement.

"I have to run to my house?"  Michael says. 

"No Michael, you run to home base.  It is a flat pentagon shape on the ground."  Here I am thinking that his autism strikes again and that he is taking my words totally literally, when he says, "Mom, I'm just joking, that was in the Amelia Bedelia book where she runs home to her house after baseball!"  Whew!  Not only did Michael not take that literally like autistics so often do, but he actually made a joke!

"Yes Michael, Amelia Bedelia is a very funny character isn't she!"  I say with relief in my voice.

Michael is such a wonderful child.  He is sweet, kind and now is developing a great sense of humor.  Everyday he brings joy into our lives, even when he is being very spectrummy or having a melt down, we are so lucky to have this kid.  Chris often says that his life started again when we had the twins.  Michael brings the spark of life and love into our very souls.   Thank you God for bringing him to us, we  wouldn't change him for the world.




1 comment:

  1. He was VERY proud of that joke (I caught him telling it to Molly later lol). I think he'll have fun. Unlike some autistic kids, he's more than willing to try different things, and I love that about him. :)

    ReplyDelete